Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

The Arsenal XI going to South Africa

Eleven Gunners will be travelling with their respective national squads to the World Cup finals in South Africa.

The Arsenal players will represent a total of eight different nations during the tournament, and apart from the omission of Theo Walcott from the England squad, there has been little surprise.

Manchester United Rio Ferdinand took the time to express his sympathy at Walcott's surprise exclusion from manager Fabio Capello's final 23-man squad.

Ferdinand said: "I've been there, I've been in the same position that Theo's in now. I didn't go to the European Championships in 2000 as Kevin Keegan dropped me.

"It's the worst feeling in the world, it's devastation. So I can understand fully where Theo is right now and the other guys.

"You can either look at it one or two ways. You can either think to yourself, like I did, was I training hard enough, or was I giving my all to football?

"I made a decision that I needed to make the step up and not to be a run-of-the-mill guy playing in the lower leagues.

"I wanted to be playing for England, the best team in the world, so I knew I had to work hard.

"I started training hard in pre-season and running near my mum's house in the park, and that November I went to sign for Leeds."

French manager Raymond Domenech has in the end, selected defender William Gallas, despite doubts over the Frenchman's fitness.

France, naturally, also have the largest contingent of Arsenal players at the finals.

The impressive Alex Song has been selected to represent Cameroon. Cesc Fabregas has also been chosen to travel with Spain, and Robin van Persie with the Netherlands.

Carlos Vela also makes the cut for the Mexican squad.

The full list of players is below:

Alex Song (Cameroon)
Nicklas Bendtner (Denmark)
Gaƫl Clichy (France)
Abou Diaby (France)
William Gallas (France)
Bacary Sagna (France)
Emmanuel Eboue (Ivory Coast)
Carlos Vela (Mexico)
Robin van Persie (Netherlands)
Cesc Fabregas (Spain)
Philippe Senderos (Switzerland)

No comments: